Bali Promotion Center: George Soros met President Sby in Bali
March 26, 2013
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono a.k.a President Sby met George Soros, the billionaire and philanthropist, to discuss the follow up for the Indonesia-Norway partnership on Reducing Emissions and Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD)+
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Bali Promotion Center: Nyepi Day 2012 ( Day of Silence 2012)
- First, The Melasti Ritual is performed 3-4 days beforehand. It is dedicated to Sanghyang Widhi Wasa. The ritual is performed in Pura (Balinese temple) near the sea (Pura Segara) and meant to purify Arca, Pratima, and Pralingga (sacred objects) belonging to several temples, also to acquire sacred water from the sea.
- Second, The Bhuta Yajna Ritual is performed in order to vanquish the negative elements and create a balance with God, Mankind, and Nature. The ritual is also meant to appease Batara Kala by Pecaruan offering. Devout Hindu Balinese villages usually make ogoh-ogoh, demonic statues made of bamboo and paper symbolizing negative elements or malevolent spirits. After the ogoh-ogoh have been paraded around the village, the Ngrupuk ritual takes place, which involves burning the ogoh-ogoh.
- Third, the Nyepi Rituals are performed as follows:
- Amati Geni: No fire or light, including no electricity
- Amati Karya: No working
- Amati Lelunganan: No travelling
- Amati Lelanguan: Fasting and no revelry/self-entertainment
- Fourth, the Yoga/Brata Ritual starts at 6:00 a.m. and continues to 6:00 p.m. the next day.
- Fifth, the Ngembak Agni/Labuh Brata Ritual is performed for all Hindus to forgive each other and to welcome the new days to come.
- Sixth and finally, The Dharma Shanti Rituals is performed as the Nyepi Day or "Day of Silence."
Posted by translator in Bali, Online English and Indonesian instructor at 8:42 PM